Butterflyblue

月曜日, 3月 14, 2005

My Weekend

    I'm in a good mood now, since I managed to have a fairly social and active weekend. On Thursday I met Homodachi for Scrabble, on Friday I met N. for dinner in Osaka, on Saturday I met Malifact and we hung around Sannomiya (afterwards I went to a boxercise class), and tonight I went to a Japanese friend's house, where his mom cooked us dinner. Takashi went too and afterwards we went to Sannomiya to return my videos. I rented "House of Sand and Fog" and "Dot the I". I loved "Dot the I," it was so sexy and thrilling with a good surprise ending, therefore more my kind of movie than the other. I know "House of Sand and Fog" is good in its way too, both the novel and the film have been hyped a lot, but I didn't personally relate to the characters. I even thought it was rather exploitative. I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone, but I guess I'd prefer to see the minority family survive and the spoiled white people die for once, and needless to say it didn't happen that way. Also I'm not the kind of person to get all emotional about a house. I've moved so many times in my life I don't relate well to the kind of character who is willing to risk everything for the place they were brought up. It's only a house. No house is worth dying or going to jail for, and if you think it is, it's past time to get a life. Before she had to give up her house, the woman in the movie was apparently doing nothing - not working, not checking her mail, not smoking or drinking, not telling the truth to her family, living in a vacuum as it were. I found that hard to accept. She relied too much on the house to give her an identity, and I thought that was pretty messed up.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:51 午後, Blogger homodachi said…

    We should do that again; I had a lot of fun!

    What was the name of that card game we played?

     
  • At 9:49 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Yes, definitely! Me too! Let's pick another weekday in March after school...
    The game is Lost Cities.

     
  • At 2:57 午後, Blogger homodachi said…

    Let me know whenever's good for you; after tonight, my weeknights are all mine!

    Thanks for the link; I didn't realize that there were supposed to be five discard piles. That definitely makes discarding more dangerous.

    I wish the rules weren't so ambiguously-worded, though. It seems like that any expedition of 8 cards including the investment cards counts for the 20-point bonus, but none of the English rulesets make that very clear. :(

    Also, this is awesome.

     
  • At 4:59 午後, Anonymous malifact said…

    I thought House of Sand and Fog was a well made movie, but way too depressing to be classed as enjoyable. It's bizarre to think Jennifer Connelly her acting career in Labyrinth.

    I had a good time Saturday, though I'm currently spending my second day off sick from work. Glad you seem to be in good health and I wasn't too contagious.

     
  • At 12:05 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    I am in the very pink of health. Hope you feel better soon. Sorry I couldn't help you with Japanese last night. I have kind of a full schedule. I'm busy every day after school, and I'm going to Mie this weekend. Things should slow down next week.

     
  • At 12:37 午後, Blogger Gord said…

    I thought she was just, you know, depressed, because her marriage had fallen apart. Having been through that sort of thing, I found it totally believable.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home