Butterflyblue

日曜日, 2月 20, 2005

Weekend

    Yesterday I met with Pretty Sunshine for the last time before she goes to Inner Mongolia. I'll miss her! She and I had okonomiyaki and cake with Malifact, Homodachi, and Tisha.
    Afterwards, Pretty Sunshine and I went to the library and worked on translating a list of names from the battle of Okita Nawate. It's not for me. Do you think I would do that for fun? I did it for someone else. Even with the help of Pretty Sunshine, a curious student sitting next to us, and the reference librarian, there were some we couldn't verify for sure. I spent a long time in the public library reference section, where they have books especially devoted to names of people in the Sengoku era, and still there were some that could have more than one reading. It was really hard, since there's no good Internet database of the readings of historical Japanese names. I can't wait until the Japanese Internet is big enough that you can look up that kind of thing easily.
    I also rented Ringu and watched it, finally. I've been kind of obsessed with it ever since seeing The Ring several months ago. Everyone told me Ringu was scarier, so I was prepared for the worst. I've read I-don't-know-how-many reviews and message boards about it, trying to work up the nerve to see it. However, I actually thought The Ring was better and scarier. It's really just a matter of preference though. They're both great and really creepy.
    I don't believe in ghosts. But here's an unsettling thought. The Wikipedia article on ghosts says:

The natural occurrence of infrasound, which are sounds below human auditory frequencies (below 20 hertz), could possibly explain the notions of feeling a 'presence' in the room, or unexplained feelings of anxiety or dread, as certain infrasonic frequencies are known to have these effects on the body. The frequency of 18hz is known to cause the human eye to vibrate, which can make pale forms appear in the peripheral vision.


   Sometimes I have "spooky feelings" in my apartment (especially after watching a horror movie, especially one that features Japanese closets like I have in my house...ew), maybe there are some infrasound frequencies coming from somewhere. The "vibrating eyeball" effect sounds like it could be real, so in a way it's scarier than actual ghosts!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:50 午後, Blogger Matt said…

    Call me crazy but I'd much rather have a lonely spirit seeking eternal rest in my room occasionally than have my EYEBALLS VIBRATE, EVER.

     
  • At 8:53 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Yeah. I wonder what kinds of things would actually cause that. I've seen lots of guidebooks to supposedly haunted spots in Japan, maybe those are the places that make your eyeballs vibrate.

     
  • At 9:32 午前, Blogger Evelyn said…

    hi - i am afraid of ghost talk, but i went to sanseido bookstore this weekend, and bought 四字熟語辞典 (i am a copycat ) i think it's an excellent reference - for some reason, i cannot find chinese equivalent reference...
    i should study more. i am still waiting on the jlpt test result... long overseas delay...

     
  • At 12:46 午後, Blogger Matt said…

    You copycat!

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home