Butterflyblue

木曜日, 2月 10, 2005

Keitai

    I bought a new mobile phone today. It's a Foma P900i. My phone number and keitai mail address are exactly the same as before, so please start contacting me again if you have any wish or desire to.
    I received the correspondence course materials from U-Can the other day. The kanji kentei course looks okay, but nothing revolutionary. The other course though, 国語の常識, I'm really psyched about. Ever since I opened the box and saw all of the cool stuff included, I was really into it. The kanji course is just kanji. But the 国語 course covers everything - grammar, proverbs, kanji, keigo, even making speeches and writing letters. There are two cassette tapes, lots of good reference materials, 6 textbooks, and you even get an electronic dictionary (no English, but it has a yojijukugo game). The level is quite high (3rd year students who were at my desk yesterday to ask my help with English paged through it and told me they found it difficult) but it's motivating.
    I'll post a couple of expressions I learned from the first textbook.

玄人はだし (くろうとはだし) (origin: contracted from 玄人がはだしで逃げる)

"Professional barefoot"

To be such an expert at something that even the professionals, frightened, run away from you in a hurry (barefoot). The textbook pointed out that you cannot say the opposite, 素人はだし - amateur barefoot. In the context of an online game, though, this would be a cool expression - you are so hardcore that the newbies all run away from you barefoot.

紺屋の白袴 (こうやのしろはかま)

"White pants at a dye factory"

To be so busy working for others that you have no time to do the very same thing for yourself. A JTE told me she is an example: "I'm a teacher, but my son is uneducated." It's easy to think of other examples - you don't develop your pictures, even though you work in a photo shop; you don't fix your computer, even though you're an IT technician. It seems like we *should* have an expression with the same meaning in English, but I can't think of one, can you?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:04 午前, Blogger Matt said…

    "The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot" is pretty close...

     
  • At 3:15 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    ぴったり! ありがとう!

    Did you just come up with that off the top of your head or did you research it? I don't think I've ever heard it. Amazing.

     
  • At 4:00 午後, Blogger Matt said…

    Top of my head! But I only remember it because it was a Japanese teacher who taught it to me, not long after I arrived. (She was surprised I hadn't heard of it.)

     
  • At 2:51 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    That's a good expression. We should resurrect it in the English language if it has become extinct.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home