Butterflyblue

木曜日, 1月 20, 2005

Misfortune & Frusteration

    The misfortune is, I hope, a small one: the gums on the left lower side of my mouth seem to be infected. The swelling started yesterday, but I didn't have time to go to the dentist. Today, it's so swollen I can't close my teeth together. I called the dentist, and 3:00 is the only time they could see me today, so I need to take an hour of nenkyuu and miss an important ESS club meeting that I should really be there for. At first I was going to postpone the dentist visit till tomorrow, but the pain makes it difficult to concentrate on anything, so I probably wouldn't be much good at the ESS meeting anyway. So I called the dentist's office back to say I would go today.
    I like my dentist - I think going to the dentist in Japan is rather calming, not at all the stressful and frightening experience it was with the incompetent dentists I had back home. I even find myself looking forward to seeing the dentist again. Weird.
    The frusteration is due to studying for the kanken. I wish I had more time. I don't think I'll be ready.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:00 午後, Anonymous 匿名 said…

    I hope he/she gave you a good antibiotic. What antibiotics do dentists use in Japan?

     
  • At 5:44 午後, Blogger Matt said…

    Why do you like the Japanese dentist so much?

    I have to admit I haven't been even once since I got here.

     
  • At 11:48 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Yes, they gave me Flomox. I believe it is widely used in Japan.

    I am a little shocked though that they don't give you a big booklet of all possible risks and side effects for every drug they give you like they do in the U.S. They don't give you any information about the drugs-you're just supposed to trust them . I have to research medications on the Internet (finding their English names) before I take them.

    Matt - if you have to go to the dentist, Japan is a good place to go. Our JET insurance covers it. You have to pay a co-payment with each visit, but it's cheap. The main reason I like dentists in Japan though is that they--and their assistants--are more gentle and reassuring. Wearing slippers while they work on your teeth is relaxing, too! When kids come in, they have a special TV showing cartoons that attaches to their dentist chair. I never feel scared that they don't know what they're doing, like I did with the crazy dentists I used to have back home. Of course it can be a little unsettling to hear them say in Japanese, "OK, we're just going to go in and do ....(word you can't understand) now, it won't hurt much..."

     
  • At 5:25 午前, Anonymous 匿名 said…

    Which dentist did you go to, Heidi? There's a UW trained one halfway between Himeji And Kobe, where I got my work done cheaply and highly reccomend him for others...

    Michael Ullom

     
  • At 8:58 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    That sounds nice Michael, but I go to a dentist that's really convenient for me, since his office is very close to my school. That way I can go right after school and I don't have to miss work. It seems like everyone in Japan is happy with their dentist. I've never heard any complaints about dentists from anyone. Oh, it's so wonderful.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home