Butterflyblue

月曜日, 1月 24, 2005

24-Hour Writing Contest

    Yesterday I entered the writersweekly 24-Hour Short Story Contest. You have to register in advance (it costs US $5) and the entrants are limited to 500 people. At the designated time, they e-mail you a topic and the maximum word count. You have to write a story using their topic and e-mail it back within 24 hours. If you're entering from Japan, you'll need to keep in mind the time difference: the contest starts and ends at 3:00 a.m. here. However, it doesn't really matter that much; no one says you actually have to start writing at 3:00 a.m.
    Yesterday's topic was:

She screamed, "No! Did you hear me?! I said no!!"

She slapped him hard but he had already catapulted out of
reality...


    The word count was 1000 words (the website says they usually range from 500 to 2000 words).
    When I read the topic, I thought it was quite easy. 1000 words is also really short. I wrote my story in about 6 hours. Reading it over though, I was embarrassed by my theme and the unavoidable cheesiness of it. To get to a scene that dramatic, I had to throw in some emotional elements I might have otherwise avoided. So I wasn't really satisfied with my story, and I'm not going to post it here. I don't think I'll win anything this time.
    I signed up for the contest because I want to work on my creative writing this year. I'm uncertain about my future, but I think that writing is at least as important as studying languages. If I can't express myself well, it doesn't matter how many kanji I know. There's no immortality in learning kanji, but your writing can have power long after you die. I've neglected creative writing for a long time, but I want to start to remedy that; if I write anything I'm proud of, I'll post it here. Anyway, I encourage all of you to enter the 24-hour short story contest next time. It really is a cool idea. I like the winning story of the autumn contest...here is a link.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:24 午後, Anonymous 匿名 said…

    I agree completely with your remarks on creative writing. It's important.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home