Butterflyblue

金曜日, 12月 10, 2004

A Story

    The Akashi edition of the Kobe Shinbun ran a short article that touches on the remarkable fact that Mr. M., a 47-year old teacher at my school, still keeps in touch with his 83-year old California host father from an exchange program 32 years ago. The host father, whose first name is Elmer, and lives in Akashi's American sister city which I don't know the spelling of but the katakana is バレホ, sent Mr. M. a check for $200 with a note saying he heard about the typhoon and he hoped it would be of some use. Mr. M. donated the money to a fund for the victims of typhoon #23, and the newspaper took a picture of him holding the letter. The story explained the strange path that the $200 had taken to Japan.
    I think the moral of this is that you should keep in touch with your former host families, because maybe someday they will donate money for a random disaster that didn't affect you, and it will be really touching.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:19 午後, Blogger homodachi said…

    That really is an amazing story. I envy his ability to keep in touch.

    Sounds like the town is Vallejo. It's about 45 minutes from San Francisco on I-80, out where the only scenery is rolling yellow hills (are they burnt or is that the vegetation's natural color?). I only know of it because there's a sea-world-meets-safari-wild-animal theme park there that I used to go to when I was a kid. I think Six Flags bought it and added a bunch of rides.

     
  • At 1:20 午後, Blogger homodachi said…

    (and yes, I did catch your sarcasm. ;)

     
  • At 5:54 午後, Anonymous 匿名 said…

    Sounds like a "Deep Thought" worthy of Jack Handey.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home