Butterflyblue

木曜日, 12月 09, 2004

Should I recontract?

    It's getting closer to that time when I should decide for sure one way or the other. Staying in Japan but not on JET is an option that is attractive to me, since my job is good but unchallenging and somewhat unsuited to my particular strengths and weaknesses. Unless you consider wasting a lot of time on the Internet a "strength," which I don't. So if you have any strong opinions either way, now is the time to make your case.
    In terms of Internet time-wasting, still an important job skill for me since this week is exams and I have no classes and nothing to do but be here, I've gotten bored with KoL after seeing all the areas. Lately I've become interested in creating quizzes for funtrivia.com, and when I saw there were no literature quizzes for T.C. Boyle, I thought I'd do one after reading each of his novels, starting with Drop City. As that site has gained in popularity, however, they've decided to be more strict with their quiz creating criteria, so now you have to take 100 quizzes on their site and be a member for a month before you can create quizzes. I finally passed that hurdle and wrote my quiz on Drop City. I submitted it to the editor, and now it's pending approval. If any of you have any requests for a Japan/Japanese language quiz theme you want me to create, please let me know. There are already many interesting quizzes on the site on the following topics (clicking on the link will take you to a page where you can select from a list of quizzes)
Japanese language
Chinese language
Japanese foods
Chinese food
Asian Cultures
Japan (general)

So why not give it a try? And if you notice a mistake in any of these quizzes (I noticed small mistakes a couple of times) you can send the author a message and they'll fix it for you.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:48 午後, Anonymous 匿名 said…

    I vote "don't recontract." Work on your biography of Vin Hoeman, maybe visit Alaska to do research for it. Or write a novel. Something practical like that.

     
  • At 6:55 午後, Blogger Matt said…

    I vote "Japan is awesome", but on the other hand, I don't want you competing in the job market here at the same time I do. So, I vote either recontract, or go to school here in Japan. Didn't you want to go to school somewhere to study localisation?

     
  • At 11:51 午後, Blogger homodachi said…

    I vote, say that you're going to recontract and buy yourself some time to think. If you decide not to recontract, if you tell the BOE by May or June they should have no trouble getting a happy alternate to take your place.

     
  • At 2:15 午後, Blogger pretty-sunshine said…

    I vote ''keep unchallenging job'' to spend your time in deveoping your skill for your next job.

     
  • At 9:29 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Thank you! So that's 3 to 1 to recontract, and the don't recontract vote is from my mom, who probably has to say that. I think I probably WILL recontract (sorry, mom) because I agree with pretty-sunshine; it's a great chance to develop skills for my next job. Yay, kanji kentei study, here I come. Of course, maybe my school won't let me recontract because I'm such a slacker? I know that's rare, but theoretically it could happen. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your comments, everyone!

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home