Butterflyblue

水曜日, 12月 15, 2004

Kanji Kentei Study, Day 1

Thought I'd share with you some of the obscure facts I picked up during my first day of seriously studying my Kanji Kentei Step book. Try this quiz to see if you can evade the traps I fell into. The answers will be posted in the comments section.

1) 五月 is commonly read ごがつ、but in the expression 五月晴れ, it has an irregular reading. What is it?

2) What is the irregular reading for 霧雨 ?

    The next several questions require you to identify the radical of a given kanji. Hint: it's not what you think. (I only scored 1 out of 10 on this section!)

3) 恥

4) 勝

5) 黙

6) 載

7) 垂

8) 率

The following two questions require you to pick from five possible relationships between kanji in two-character compounds. Here are your choices:

ア Two kanji with the same meaning redundantly put together
イ Two kanji with opposite or contrasting meanings
ウ The first kanji modifies the second one
エ The second one is the object of the first one
オ The first one is the subject, the second one is the predicate

(I think knowing some Chinese helps me with this kind of problem. Still, I made some mistakes...)

9) The word 鎖国 was translated as "Country in Chains" by my Japanese history professor in college. Pronounced sakoku, it refers to the time when Japan was closed off from the outside world. What kind of relationship exists between the two kanji? Choose one (ア~オ).

10) 授受 Pronouced juju, it means receive. What is the relationship?

11) 瞬間 Pronounced shunkan, it means moment. What is the relationship?

Write the kanji for the katakana in the following sentences.

12) ルイジの商品がたくさんある。

13) 人事イドウが発表された。

The following pairs sound the same and have similar meanings, but different kanji.

14) 問い合わせにカイトウする。  / 試験問題のカイトウを掲示する。

15) 夕方には目的地にく。    /  学校の卒業して職にく。

16) 荷物を小包でオクる。    /  恋人に婚約指輪をオクる。

The above questions are from the book

3級漢字学習ステップ


Tricky, huh? I've studied most or all of the kanji in this book before, but for the kanji kentei, just being able to read them is not enough.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:04 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Answers

    1) さつき
    2) きりさめ
    3) 心 - I asked some teachers at my school about this, and they were all mystified. They thought it was mimihen, too. I guess it's because of meaning; you feel shame with your "heart", not with your "ear".
    4) 力 Similarly, you win with your "strength."
    5) 黒 I'm still waiting for a good explanation of this.
    6) 車 Or this.
    7) 土
    8) 玄
    9) エ 鎖 is a verb in this case, to "close off". I was thinking of the "country in chains" thing, so I thought it was a noun of some kind.
    10) イ I thought they both had the same meaning, "receive" in English. However, in Japanese they are two different kinds of "receive," which contrast.
    11) ウ The first character means "the blink of an eye" which modifies "interval"
    12) 類似 (To me this looked like "Luigi," Mario's brother)
    13) 異動 -人事異動 means personnel changes.
    14) 回答 - answer the question 解答 the answers.
    15) 着く - arrive 就く take up a position (work)
    16) 送る - send 贈る give as a present. I used to know this, but now that the katakana word プレゼント is always used instead of 贈り物, I forgot it.

     
  • At 5:05 午後, Blogger dadsweb said…

    I don't know why the weather in May is so irregular, but there is another compound 五月雨 which is read "samidare"...

     
  • At 5:35 午前, Blogger Evelyn said…

    those are not easy questions - i don't know how to identify the radicals either... when are you planning to take the test - did you already register for end of january test? there's japanese saturday schools in northern jersey, and they are listed on the website as oversea testing centers. i might try for june test. i tried to go to saturday school before, but was turned away because i was too old =b

     
  • At 9:18 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    If I don't do the one in January, the next one is in June, right? I haven't registered yet. The end of January seems too soon, but June is too far away.
    Have you noticed how annoying it is that the kanken website advertises its kanji games, but there is only ONE game of each type on the website? How disappointing!

     
  • At 10:02 午前, Blogger Matt said…

    Actually, I can see why 黒 would be the radical. darkness is the absence of light, silence is the absence of sound. But apparently I'm wrong. According to the Kanjigen 黒 is used for its tonal qualities, and 犬 is the part which actually carries meaning. Maybe because dogs can't talk? They sure aren't silent, though.

    Also according to the Kanjigen, the part of 載 that isn't 車 means "to stop something (originally a river) from moving", so the kanji as a whole means "to tie something down on a cart so that it won't shake loose". So that's why 車 is the radical, I guess.

    (I actually knew 五月 because it's in Totoro. The two girls are both named after the same month, but in different languages.)

    Yes, work is slow.

     
  • At 1:12 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Thanks, Matt. I didn't know that about Totoro. That's cool.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home