Butterflyblue

土曜日, 12月 18, 2004

And the kanji kentei saga continues...

    Maybe I should write about Luminarie or something else for a change. But I find I get more comments when I talk about Japanese study. So here we go.
    First of all, I went ahead and registered for the 3kyuu kanji kentei on January 30. I did it at the Lawson's by my house, and it cost 2000 yen. When I asked the salesclerk to help me, he directed me to a little machine I've never noticed before (it looks like a cash machine) in one corner of the store, where you can choose various things to subject yourself to, the kanji kentei being but one of them. You have to enter your name, address, and the level you want to take, and in return you get a little receipt. You take this to the register and pay. The guy said that they would send me something in the mail later, which I'll have to fill out and send back.
    I only have 6 weeks to study, which seems rather short for this difficult a test. So I plan to study every day. I bought two more of the ubiquitous yellow study books: the one of last year's test, and the one dadsweb recommended (Thank you dadsweb!) 漢検分野別問題集. This one looks really helpful, because it breaks down the test by sections and gives you strategies. That way you can target your weak points (basically everything for me at this point). The list of 四字熟語 at the back looks very helpful. I have a 四字熟語辞典 already, by the way, but still, there are probably hundreds of them in there, and I wouldn't know where to start. So the list of the ones that will probably appear on the test is really good.
    Finally, there was one more thing I needed. A new dictionary. My regular kokugo dictionary--which I like for reading because it explains things very clearly and simply, for middle school students--is not enough for the kinds of things I find myself looking up now. Not only does it not have some of the kanji compounds listed in my kentei study books, it's also lacking in any sort of etymological explanation. I find myself wondering where certain kanji come from and why they are that way. If I only understood that, it would be so much easier to study them. So I bought a dictionary called Kangorin, a big kanji dictionary in Japanese with lots of etymological stuff. A hidden benefit of this is that it will help me remember the radicals and radical names, since I'll have to use them all the time.
    Out of all the people I've shown my kanji kentei study books to so far, the only ones who think they look easy are the two JTEs I teach with. One of them has passed kanji kentei level 2 already. The other has never attempted any kanji kentei, but upon seeing my books decided she would also take the same level as me in January. Copycat. She wrote down the title of my book so she could get one too. Now she's Japanese, and she's about twenty years older than me, so isn't this just a little bit unfair? But after she said that, I decided I couldn't back out now, so that's when I decided to go ahead and register for the January test.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:49 午前, Blogger Evelyn said…

    Hi - nothing to do with kentei test, but i vaguely remember that you said you might go to taiwan for vacation. do you like sukiyaki? last time i had sukiyaki tabehodai in taiwan at momo paradise restaurant. it's less than US $20 - i don't know if you've been to places like that in japan already, but even then, this place should still be cheaper.
    時間:11:45 ~ 15:00 、17:00 ~ 22:00 、22:00 ~ 02:00
    地址:台北市忠孝東路四段293號2樓
    電話:(02)2772-1577、(02)2772-4688
    價位:(午) 299元、(晚) 399元 【另加一成服務費】 (10% tip)

    http://www.maillist.com.tw/maillist/maillist_browse.cgi?show_old_epaper=orange&filename=20030906124934.html
    http://cassidy.nicetypo.com/nt/cassidy.nsf/contentBypermaLink/447A1B00248E367A48256F55004EF9DA

    i know - i should be recommending things more particular to taiwan - but i can't think of anything other than night market stuff - 士林夜市, 通化街夜市

     
  • At 5:59 午前, Blogger Evelyn said…

    and i thought this article was interesting - talks about how different "days" are made up based on different reading of month and day in japanese
    for example:
    6月4日:64=むし→むしば=虫牙,是“防止虫牙之日”(cavity prevention day)
    http://blog.sina.com.tw/archive.php?blog_id=138&md=entry&id=9158

     
  • At 9:44 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Thank you Evelyn! That is interesting. Numbers can be pronounced so many different ways in Japanese. Have you heard of the one that is never used for license plate numbers 4219 = しにいく (死に行く).
    I have a terrible memory for numbers, so I have to use tricks like that to remember my own phone number and postal code. For example, the last four digits of my postal code are 0143, and I could never remember them to save my life until I tried changing them into Japanese. I came up with o-i-shi-san, which I think of as お石さん, and now I never forget it.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home