Butterflyblue

水曜日, 11月 24, 2004

Studying Chinese

    I am using these books to study for my level 3 Chinese proficiency test on Sunday:

Intermediate Spoken Chinese by Liu Delian, Peking University Press
中検3級問題集2004年版 (book of test questions from actual tests, with grammar notes and definitions in Japanese. Includes a CD and a glossary in the back)
中国語検定3級 - 予想問題と解説 (basically the same thing except the test questions are made up, and there is no glossary)

    The CDs that come with the two books are ridiculously easy, which makes me think that I should have no trouble with the listening section of the test. The written sections are trickier, but I'm getting there.
    I bought Intermediate Spoken Chinese in Beijing. It's for foreign students studying in China, and it's a little difficult for me, but I basically like it. The dialogues and pictures are interesting, and I like the fact that it's all in Chinese except for the definitions of vocabulary words, which are in English. On page 136 is my new favorite Chinese word definition:

si (first tone)     a threadlike thing

    Wow, that's so...precise. Does that mean I can use that word for any threadlike thing I encounter? Why bother to define a word if you're not going to tell me what it really is?
    I also like the expression on page 10, yikou chicheng pangzi, "becoming fat in one bite," which means that you can't achieve good results all at once. I like it because of the assumption that becoming fat right away is a good thing. No...wait...you can't get fat right away! Be patient!

4 Comments:

  • At 5:01 午後, Anonymous 匿名 said…

    I like the "getting fat in one bite" saying too. Amusing to think this is referring to the need for patience. Today was Thanksgiving in Olympia,and I do think it's possible to get fat in one day, if not one bite.

     
  • At 12:54 午前, Blogger homodachi said…

    I like that one too, it sounds a little too similar to a sweet nothing I whisper to myself when confronted with something delicious. ^_~

    How was the exam?

     
  • At 9:27 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    It was easier than I thought, even the Japanese-to-Chinese translation, although I'm sure I got one of the sentences wrong because I didn't (and still don't) know the Chinese word for "majime". So I wrote "majime" in kanji but I'm sure that's wrong. The sentence was 私は彼ほどまじめではありません.

    When I try to translate that I wind up with something like 我没有他ほど...no, wait...

    Otherwise, I have confidence.

     
  • At 12:59 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    I can't believe I actually heard the word "si," "a threadlike thing," used in conversation last night. I mean, I thought that was probably the most useless word ever. But Y., my Chinese tutor/friend, invited me to an international dinner last night at a Chinese restaurant, and we were speaking mostly in English. There were three Japanese lawyers, one person from Brazil, one Hungarian, two Chinese women, and a man from Indonesia. It was an evening of stimulating conversation and good food, and at one point Y. was talking about the spring rolls when she explained that the harusame noodles inside the harumaki are called fen si in Chinese, fen meaning silk and si meaning, that's right, a threadlike thing.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home