Butterflyblue

水曜日, 11月 10, 2004

Forum games

    Orange actually has a rhyme. It's porridge.
    That's something I learned while playing one of many silly
forum posting games on KoL. The games that are loosely based on the idea of "cleverly insult the person before you, and/or the next person" remind me of a game I used to play with my brother when we were kids. We would each say a word until we had a complete sentence, and the object of the game was to make the total meaning of the sentence insult the other person. Being older, I usually won. I can't believe how mean I can be sometimes. Does anyone else have fond memories of playing games like that with siblings? Anyway, it's not exactly mature, but it's fun to see that verbal battle games are alive and well.
    If you click on the link above, you'll see that "Last letter frenzy" is what they are calling English shiritori.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:22 午前, Blogger Matt said…

    Orange doesn't rhyme with porridge! Not unless you pronounce it "porrindge".

     
  • At 2:36 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    It's not an exact rhyme. The rhyming dictionaries don't list it. But try pronouncing orange without the "n" --I think it's perfectly understandable. Try saying "I ate an orange" and see if you are really pronouncing that "n" or not. I don't pronounce it so much--just the "j" sound which is the same as porridge. If I were writing a limerick, I could use "orange" and "porridge" together acceptably well. Anyway, on the forum they used some more questionable rhymes than that- like
    "belly button lint" for "peppermint" and "balance" for "alliance". I don't think those rhyme. I am proud of thinking of the rhyme "savory bun" for "everyone."

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home