Butterflyblue

水曜日, 8月 25, 2004

Three Kinds of Blog Entries

1) Contributing to the Internet
"I have an original idea or some information that I want to share with others on the Internet."    
The most noble kind of blog entry.

2) Responding to the Internet
"I see a web page that interests me, and I have an opinion about it, so I will publish my response."
    It doesn't matter if the site in question is new or ten years old, because all time is now. The blogger has freedom to comment on all things from the broadest to the most trivial.

3) Putting Personal Drivel on the Internet
"I have moods, listen to me whine while I tell you about the minute details of my humdrum day."

    In the past, before the Internet, these writings would probably not have been shared with a large audience, but would instead have been hidden away in a diary or personal letter. Now, you can read about the roller-coaster emotions of complete strangers. This is a huge change in the social geography of our times. What will it mean?

    Perhaps we're headed for a widespread loss of privacy. I often think it would be dangerous to maintain a blog if I had a stalker. How would I code my entries so that my friends and family would know what I was up to, and my stalker wouldn't? I don't delude myself that a stalker couldn't find out my page address without my help--I challenged an ex-boyfriend to do so, and he succeeded in less than 5 minutes. Would it be better to just leave things out, or write them in an ambiguous way? Or what if I needed to prove that I was really myself by knowing something only I would know (a situation that I'm sure occurs more often on TV than in real life) and this was impossible because everything secret and meaningful to me had already been blogged? Why am I willing to risk my privacy for the sake of self-expression?

3 Comments:

  • At 7:49 午後, Blogger Matt said…

    On the other hand, someone would have trouble stalking you based on the blog alone. I tried to add you to Messenger once only to realise that your contact info is completely secret. Uh, I think.

     
  • At 10:09 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

        Hm, you're right. I was thinking about it more from the other side - if someone had seen me in real life and knew where I lived, and they found out I had a blog, they could easily use my own blog to track my whereabouts in a general sort of a way. Since I can't resist writing about what I'm doing - I kept a paper diary for seventeen years and I can't break the habit - I could inadvertantly provide information to a dangerous person. I don't really think this will happen, but the possibility is creepy.
       If you want some information from me though, Matt, I'll e-mail it to you. I know you're not a stalker. OR ARE YOU?!

     
  • At 10:14 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Just kidding. I know your e-mail address. I'll e-mail you with my real name and info.

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home