Butterflyblue

火曜日, 7月 27, 2004

Guin Saga

    The first five of Kaoru Kurimoto's epic Guin Saga novels have been translated into English. Recently I've been noticing this series at used bookstores because it's so incredibly long, conspicuously occupying 2-3 shelves worth of bookshelf space. I was amazed to find out they were all written by the same author. In the 1970s, author Kurimoto announced that she would create a new record for the longest series written by a single person. Her plan was to write a 100-volume epic fantasy series. Not one to give up having made up her mind, she has persevered through the years, creating a popular and successful series.  Volume 95 was published in Japan last June.
    I want to read these, but the used bookstores never have volume 1. I don't think it would be the same if I started with volume 32 or whatever.
    Has anyone read them? Please comment.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:19 午後, Blogger Matt said…

    Just spring for volume 1 new. The difference between new bunko and used bunko would only be like a couple of hundred yen.

    And then tell ME how it is. Bwa ha ha ha haaaaa!

     
  • At 8:54 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    Ha, you're right, it's not exactly expensive. The idea intrigues me but I'm hesitant to commit myself to reading the series; after all, if I like them, I won't have time to read anything else for YEARS. On the other hand, the more likely outcome is that I'll have trouble even finishing Book One, leaving the other 90-some volumes as an incomplete project hanging oppressively over my head.
    Maybe this fall, for 読書の秋...

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home