Butterflyblue

水曜日, 7月 07, 2004

Favorite Books Lists

PLEASE NOTE: I CHANGED THE SETTINGS SO THAT NON-REGISTERED USERS CAN COMMENT. PLEASE TRY AGAIN IF YOU COULDN'T POST A COMMENT IN THE PAST. THANK YOU.

      It's early July and I don't teach another class until September. I'm so lucky. Needless to say, I have a lot of time on my hands. To feel productive today at work, I made a 50-item list of things to pack for my trip to China, and an 8-item list of things to do before going to China. (The first item is "have hair cut to a convenient length" and the last is "find a pet hotel that will take Zedrake"). But I still have time! So I'm going to post some lists of my all-time favorite books, one at a time over the course of the next few weeks so as not to overwhelm you. Because I'm a nerd, and because I think other bookworms may wish to peruse and dispute my choices, I'm going to carry out this self-indulgent High-Fidelity-esque listing activity with the following proposed lists:

Favorite Non-Fiction (Today, July 7, 2004)

Favorite Books in Childhood (Monday, July 12, 2004)
      sublists: Books That I Read in Childhood But Didn't Really "Get"
            Books That Scared Me When I Read Them in Childhood

Favorite Books in Adolescence (Tuesday, July 13, 2004)
      sublists: Unfavorite Books of Adolescence/Adulthood
            Classics I Read as a Teenager
            Books Over 1000 Pages I Read Because They Were Long

Favorite Series Books (mostly fantasy) (Wednesday, July 14, 2004)

Favorite Books in Adulthood (Science Fiction) (Thursday, July 15, 2004)

Favorite Books in Adulthood (Japanese Literature) (Tuesday, July 20, 2004)

Favorite Books in Adulthood (Mainstream Fiction) (Thursday, July 22, 2004)

Favorite Books in Adulthood That I Read For College/Grad School Classes (Monday, July 26, 2004)

      I meant to make all of these lists on amazon listmania! but never got around to it. So I'm going to do it here instead. Publishing dates are tentative. I will defend this activity by saying that I really do enjoy reading other people's favorite book lists if I have reason to believe their tastes are similar to mine, and especially if they include some personal or funny comments.
      Some may think I'm showing off here but really I'm not; reading is a lazy activity and most people know how to do it. Please post a comment if you have any thoughts about these lists or email me at moglet23@yahoo.com (my new alternate e-mail address) and I will respond. The other thing I plan to do to make the lists more interactive is to include links to the online texts when they exist.
      At my high school reunion a former classmate I hadn't seen for 10 years came up to me and asked, "I've been wanting to ask you, did all of that reading ever do you any good?"
      Not exactly having a great job or financial prospects at that time, in massive student loan debt, while he was married, well-traveled and rich, the only answer I could give was "No."