Butterflyblue

月曜日, 6月 21, 2004

Silent Hill 4 - Settlers of Catan - Hamster Bite

     I pre-ordered Silent Hill 4 from Amazon.co.jp and it arrived yesterday (Sunday). It came with a bonus mini-disk, which I haven't tried yet so I have no idea what's on it. I was busy all day Sunday. First I went to my gaming group and played Settlers of Catan and a really boring game called Cosmic Encounter. They said it was the game Magic the Gathering was based on. It was sooooo painful. Then I went to my Chinese lesson. Yes, I'm studying Chinese a bit too. It's fun, since I'm still at the stage in Chinese where even the simplest converations are challenging. Anyway, I studied Chinese with my friend over coffee and then went home late, so I haven't had time to play Silent Hill 4 yet.
      The big question is, will I be able to play it at all? I'm on a couple Silent Hill mailing lists and I act like a big fan of the series, but the truth is I'm not as enured to evil horror games as all that. I kind of suck at them actually.
      I think the mist and low visibility in the first two Silent Hill games is really cool. From the screenshots of the 4th game, it looks surprisingly clear and realistic, and I wonder if it can be as scary if you can see everything. The plot of the 4th one sounds kind of scary though. Your character wakes up one day and finds himself locked in his apartment. Eventually he finds a hole in his bathroom leading to another world.
      Settlers of Catan is a German board game that came out about 10 years ago. It has been released with new package art in Japan. It's really easy to play, and it doesn't get bogged down in lengthy boringness the way Monopoly or Risk do. No matter what happens in the game, it's generally over in an hour or two.
      On Saturday my hamster, Zedrake, bit my finger really hard. All I did to provoke the attack was to pick him up and put him in another container so I could clean his cage. Blood spurted all over the tatami, reminding me of the gory scenes in Kill Bill. I love my hamster, but I never succeeded in taming him. So we're like two roommates who don't get along: I buy all the food and clean up after him, and he sleeps all day, acts grumpy, and tries to sever my finger with his pointy little teeth.
      Usually, instead of picking Zedrake up, I open his cage and let him walk into his hamster ball, which he does, and then I close the hamster ball and he runs happily around the apartment in it until I'm done cleaning the cage. But this time I thought I'd do something a little different. I'd just seen "High Fidelity," and you know that scene at the beginning where the kid, Marcus, picks up his pet hamster and puts him in the sink while he cleans the cage? I thought that would work with my hamster. But no.
      I was going to play Silent Hill, but after seeing so much of my own blood I didn't have the stomach for video game gore. Sorry. You'll have to wait until I run out of excuses to hear my impressions of the game I was so eager to play I pre-ordered it last month.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:29 午後, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    The bonus minidisk I got with Silent Hill 4 has the cryptic title ぬけられぬ雨の吉原 - Yoshiwara unable to get out of the rain? With no idea of what to expect, I put it in the PS2. It turned out to be a music CD. It starts with some scary Silent Hill-like music, but then there is a long Noh-drama-ish monologue. Something about bloody hands and a bloody pillow, is it a dream no it's not a dream, things like that. Where did this come from? If I find out what on earth it is I'll post it later. It closes with a pretty song, the Silent Hill 4 theme song, which I think is called "Close your eyes."

     
  • At 11:14 午前, Blogger butterflyblue said…

    I played Silent Hill 4 a bit last weekend and I'm sorry to say it's disappointing. Silent Hill 1 and 2 are still great games though. I especially love SH1. The reviews I've read of SH4 have not been so good either, because of the awkward controls, first-person view (which makes many people feel motion sick), the fact you have to travel some areas many times, too many stairs, and most importantly, the story and atmosphere just aren't aren't as good as the earlier games. It might have some redeeming features I haven't discovered yet. The music is good. I will finish playing it later, MUCH later...

     

コメントを投稿

<< Home